Is this place dead? The Wind Waker HD Remake Thread...

Discussion in 'General Zelda' started by Nathan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. soap gaymer

Message Count:
    I was JUST saying the same thing in the other thread. In fact, I thought this was my post and the forum somehow screwed up and put your name on my post or I was going crazy.
  2. PerryRadica Ryan

Message Count:
    I'm with Gestalt and Ruby, I absolutely love this new look and update for WW. I'm really hoping though that they make some gameplay improvements as well, the dungeon count was always low and there are quite a few obvious places to put new ones in.
  3. Nathan Administrator

Message Count:
    I absolutely love this look too. How do we know this wasn't Eiji's original vision for the game but he HAD to use cel-shading back them because it owuld have been hard to realize this on the GCN hardware?
  4. dizzi deaf person!!

Message Count:
    i dont really get why theyre remaking WW it was a good game but why they remaking it?
  5. I AM ERROR ONLY ERROR CAN DEFEAT GANNON

Message Count:
    They're most likely remaking it because it's the only console Zelda game that can't be played on the Wii U (aside from FSA).
    ArynCrinn and PerryRadica like this.
  6. Nathan Administrator

Message Count:
    To change it's reputation. For better or for worse, I've seen it's reputation rearing it's head again on the internet. It's a "kiddy game". We all know this isn't true, but it's a mantra so many gamers are applying to it. I think they want to prove that isn't the case, and while proving it, really give WIi U and Zelda fans something solid to play while they wait for Smash and Zelda U. They also have content they cut from the game (I know it says it was used in the next game but... assuredly those dungeons in TP can't be the same as dungeons on a island could they? I would suspect ideas from those dungeons were used rather than the dungeons themselves.)

Fact is, they have extra content they could tack on, the tingle tuner can be tweaked into being the GamePad and 3DS, and in the end the game could be even more appealing than it was back then. 4.6 million in sales isn't too shabby, and while it wont get that this time, I think the game was just a minimal effort.

If you look closer into some of the textures in certain shots you can see cel-shading is still at work and Nintendo didn't actually replace much. Only the characters themselves have been completely redone it seems, but if you look at the buildings the ground, the roofs, the grass, it's all still technically a form of cel-shading and/or built off a small retexturing.

In the end, it was just easy for Nintendo to do rather quickly, and they didn't just want to dolphinize it because they were experimenting with art styles for Zelda U. They wouldn't use that straight cel-shading again, so in experimenting this is what we got, and it's pretty cool. Fuck the haters.
  7. dizzi deaf person!!

Message Count:
    erm whats 'dolphinize' please??
  8. Nathan Administrator

Message Count:
    The Dolphin emulator. Lets you play GCN and Wii games in HD on your PC.
  9. talonmalon333 Voo_Bopo

Message Count:
    I'm not sure if Wind Waker U looks better than Dolphin Wind Waker. But regardless, it looks great.

It does looks Mario Galaxy-esque though. I'd recognize that character glow anywhere.
  10. ShiKage かかって来い

Message Count:
    I'm liking the presented images of The Wind Waker HD so far. I'm really excited to see what it looks like in action. I'm so excited to see all of my favorite points in the game realized in HD, with the "new" graphics, such as the final battle, the battle with Ghoma, the battle with the plant boss in the Forbidden Woods, seeing the Great Deku Tree's face in HD, etc. Not to mention, the King of mother fucking Red Lions in HD. I wonder if they'll keep Master Sword the same, or if they'll change its proportions, like they (the guys that did it, not Nintendo -- Grezzo?) did with the Ocarina of Time 3D remake.

I just hope it's not a $60 price point. While I'd probably still buy the game at launch for that price, it seems pretty high for an upgraded version of a game I've had for 10 years. I hope their "gameplay adjustments" are worth that much.
  11. River Zora Gimmicky and niche.

Message Count:
    I love everything bar the character models. I'll see how they evolve..
  12. talonmalon333 Voo_Bopo

Message Count:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Yep. Definitely a similar character glow around them. I expect the character models to get some change then.
  13. PerryRadica Ryan

Message Count:
    Oh god if they included FSA in this I would just throw money at Nintendo without question. Even if these character models weren't changed.

I already love these elements of a MM-esque art style being applied to Wind Waker (high saturated colours, strong defining shadows)
  14. Nathan Administrator

Message Count:
    The thing is, the Bloom effect people complain about always looks 10 times worse in a still image than it does in the actual moving experience.